Guy_manners 2009-07-19 23:53:20
Last year, I created PDFs from InDesign CS for web-access. They were 752 kB for 28pp., including JPG covers, and 2.1 MB for 56pp., including JPG covers.
Since then, I have upgraded to Office 2008, although saving as earlier .doc files. I have also had cause to reinstall Acrobat.
I have created two InDesign files of 25 and 39 pp., which are generating PDFs of 1 MB and 34.2 MB, respectively (so far without any graphics or JPGs). I have no idea what has gone wrong.
The only obvious change is that I am using Bookman Old Style throughout, where last year I used TNR and Arial.
Any suggestions for reducing file size gratefully accepted. (I have tried the obvious options and one or two suggested by Acrobat Help.)
Steve_werner 2009-07-19 23:53:21
I have tried the obvious options and one or two suggested by Acrobat Help.
Unless you tell us what you’ve tried, how can we help you?
Guy_manners 2009-07-19 23:53:30
OK, I have tried:
* Reduce File Size – Acrobat 6.0 and later
* PDF Optimizer – Fonts – there are none shown in either box!
* PDF Optimizer – Discard Objects
* Optimize for fast web view – in original file creation from InDesign CS and in PDF Optimizer
The one piece of information that strikes me as “odd” is that Audit space usage tells me that 98.79% of one of the files (the larger one at 34.2 MB) is taken up by Content streams.
Steve_werner 2009-07-19 23:53:32
I think we need to look back at the way you’re creating the PDF from InDesign. EXACTLY what PDF settings did you choose for the 39 page file with no graphics that created a 34 Mb PDF file?
Guy_manners 2009-07-19 23:53:33
PDF Export Presets: [Screen]:
* Options: Compatibility: Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) / Standard: None / Optimise for Fast Web View / (other check-boxes unchecked)
* Include: Bookmarks / Hyperlinks / eBook Tags / Interactive Elements / (other check-boxes unchecked)
* Compression: Colour Images: Bicubic Downsampling to 72 ppi / for images above 108 ppi / Compression: Automatic / Image Quality: Medium
* Greyscale Images: (as Colour Images)
* Monochrome Images: Bicubic Downsampling to 300 ppi / for images above: 450 ppi / Compression: CCITT Group 4
* Compress Text and Line Art
* Crop Image Data to Frames
* Marks and Bleeds: (none)
* Advanced: Colour: RGB / (Simulate Overprint unchecked)
* Fonts: Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than: 100%
* OPI: (none checked)
* Transparency Flattener: Preset: [Low Resolution] / (Ignore Spread Overrides unchecked)
* Security: (none)