Jasonw 2012-06-19 18:22:46
I did my first ribs on my WSM and they turned out quite nice. I took kind of
a Jamaican flavor approach this time:
I used Costco vacuum-packed ribs, around 8 pounds total. This is enough for
two big guys or three smaller meals.
1. Removed membrane. Cut slabs in half.
2. Marinated overnight in Jamaican sauce (below).
3. Heated WSM to 240F or so. (I used deflector filled with sand, both wire
4. Placed ribs on racks, 3 per rack.
5. Cooked for 3 hours at 240-300. Temp rose as time passed. Used hickory,
apple, cherry wood for smoke flavor first hour)
6. Used tear method to determine if they were done. (See if you can start to
tear a rib loose. If not, put the lid back on for another to 1 hour.)
7. Removed from WSM when done and coated with Apple Cider sauce (below).
8. Waited 10 minutes and served up.
1 Bottle of Soy Vay Island Teriaki sauce from Trader Joe’s
1-2 Tbsp Lime juice
*Apple Cider sauce* (stolen and adapted from Weber grilling book)
3 Cups apple cider reduced to syrup (boil for hour or so until most of the
moisture is gone and it looks thick and syrupy.)
1 tsp Emmeril’s Essence (below, or whatever spices you have handy)
1 tsp Cayenne
2 tsp Chipotle Tabasco
Cup minced green onions
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
2 Tbsp Tomato paste
2 Tbsp vinegar (white or apple cider)
tsp fresh ground pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme