Amanda94621 2015-12-08 15:04:18
A while back, someone has given the following information about a
prodcut called airfree that kills mold using heat:
Airfree destroys 99,99% of mold spores just by heating it. In fact
they have Independent Tests showing mold and bacteria reduction in
offices and homes.
Airfree also reduces Ozone rather than genereting it
I was not completely convinced of the claim at the time but recently I
found a product called “Mold Zapper” by Honeywell, claiming that it
can make them non-viable.
(For air purifiers – http://www.allergybegone.com/aircleaner.html
but under the link “Mold Control” is
http://www.allergybegone.com/moldcontrol.html where the Mold Zapper is
At http://www.allergybegone.com/moldzapper.html is the cliam for “Mold
This prevents the spread of mold by passing the spores through a
heating chamber, making them non-viable. Because air moves through by
convection, there is no noisy fan/compressor. Serves 1000 cubic ft.
Safe to the touch and fabrics. 14″ diameter.
It seems that the technology for the two product (Airfree and
Honeywell Mold Zapper) is the same.
What bothers me is that while the Mold Zapper (from Honeywell) did not
say anything about the temperature, the airfree’s claim is 400-500C
(at the link http://www.airtesters.com/AirFree_Enviro60.cfm) but under
their FAQS, under “How does it work?, it said 200-300C, like this:
Airfree utilizes heat to sterilize the air dragged into its patented
ceramic core by air convection. Inside the ceramic core air is
sterilized at high temperatures (between 200 to 300 C). Any living
micro-organism, bacteria, virus are incinerated regardless of hou
dangerous they might be.
Honeywell HEPA Filters are good but 90% (out of 99.97) of the work is
on things larger than .3 micron while mold spore is much smaller.
Since I keep my place very clean, I don’t need an expensive machine to
remove the dust and pet dander (no pet) for me. And I am not bothered
by pollen. I am after mold primarily.
Anyone knows whether this claim of destroying mold has any base?
Michael balara 2015-12-08 15:04:48
I have a Honeywell uv100e3007 coil irradiation unit
on my air conditioner/heater unit-it is a UV light that kills the mold that
blows out in the air cond or heater-cost about $1300 works great-have to
clean the bulb every 3 months…
Robertmats 2015-12-08 15:04:53
Amanda, I read your article and below is my comment:
I have the Airfree. Before buying it, I made a deep research on the
internet and will be pleased to share with you some conclusions.
No micoorganism survive temperature such as 482 F or 250 C. Actually
Airfree temperature is around 250 C or 484 F, maybe airtesters.com put
C in instead of F.
I saw Airfree Independent Tests and they clearly show an important
mold and bacteria reduction in a room. Actually this is something
everybody should look before buying an air purifier: Independent Tests
Airfree Independent Tests for mold:
I suggest you to take a look at:
On the other hand, I found no Independent Tests for Mold Zapper. Maybe
you should write them asking for them. I also noticed Mold zapper says
nothing about bacteria, viruses and ozone reduction like Airfree does.
Airfree technology is patented. Besides Airfree looks like much taller
and does not affect the room temperature. Thus I dont think we are
talking about the same technology here.
Well, I am happy with my units. I can tell you my allergy has improved
a lot and no more mildew in my kitchen develops, which is great.
Let me remind you once again. Contact the manufatures before
purchasing anything and ask for Independent Tests for mold!
I will be tunned in this forum to see the comments.
Bob 2015-12-08 15:04:58
On 11 Nov 2003 17:48:55 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org (Robert)
But careful… What matters is the time at that temperature. One can
sterilize at a fairly low temperature if the sample is held there for
a long time, or at a high temp for a brief time. Since no mention has
been made of how long the exposure is, simply quoting temperatures
serves no purpose.
which per se is irrelevant. Someone else might be using it under
license, or using a minor variation (or disputing the patent). And
having a patent is no assurance that the thing is of any value.
??? I would be quite surprised if that were true. Mold spores are
probably several microns.
0.3 microns gets all bacteria and cells. It does not get viruses.
Amanda94621 2015-12-08 15:05:03
Thanks for the info Robert. I agree that Mold Zapper didn’t say much
about the mold excpet making them non-viable, whatever that means.
Airfree is $299 and with 2 year warranty. Also, it should be kept in a
room and not moved. Big investment but I guess it is worth it. I’d
rather deal with getting rid of mold than using Nasal spray.
Rhinocort is not cheap anyway but the main thing is that I do not want
to depend on them.
Amanda94621 2015-12-08 15:05:09
Thanks for the info.
If I understand correctly, you put the unit inside the AC/Heater unit.
Is it something that can be taken out and take with me when I move?
Also, what is the warranty on that?
I don’t remember seeing it when I saw Honeywell Air Purifiers. There
must be a link on that page to that unit. I will check into that.
Amanda94621 2015-12-08 15:05:14
Good then. I read somewhere on the Internet and the info sounded like
the stuff smaller than .3 micron might include mold spores.
If it is larger, then Honeywell HEPA Filter Air Purifiers would do the job.
Good enough for me.
Bernhard kueme 2015-12-08 15:05:24
You Americans should live a more natural way. Sterilizing your
environment leads to allergies. But that may be of little help
for you now. If there weren’t robertmats saying his units work
well I would have wondered if those air heaters treat enough
volume by convection to be of any value. Did you mean to say
‘serves 1000 cubic ft./h’ instead of ‘1000 cubic ft.’ only? Ohh,
it serves a 1000 cubic foot room. That’s a quite small room – 125
ft2 / 11.6 m2, 8 ft high. Do they really keep the Americans in
such tiny cages most of the time? Using convection only makes it
IMO practically impossible to recycle the heat with a heat
exchanger thus the unit will exhaust hot air, heat up your room
(especially such small ones, you might get sterilized yourself!)
and consequently use a lot of energy. You Americans also should
use less (fossile and nuclear) energy and sign the Kyoto protocol.
Do you have a lot af mold/spores? Why? Do you live in a hot and
damp place? Florida? Maybe an AC/dehumidifier helps. Consider
Alaska or Nevada :). Sorry, my American geography is a little
limited, but the point is: more cool and dry. If you live in an
old. damp house try moving to a new and dry one. Keep your place
clean but do not use sterilizing detergents.
Now I read
.. The 2000 ft3 (250 ft2 * 8 ft) has 46 W so heat will not be a
problem. However, $ 299 IS A RIP OFF!!! That thing contains a
trivial heating wire (like in your hair drier) in a case. No fan,
no thermo/hygrostat, etc. It is worth no more than $29! You
Americans should get some education.
Incidentally I have some heating wire at home (which is available
very cheaply) and offer to build and ship to you an air purifier
for $ 50.
Bernhard kueme 2015-12-08 15:05:34
To get an idea about my construction skills you may look at
Michael balara 2015-12-08 15:05:41
I called 3 places and received different quotes-I called this guys
references and one mane said they were great and the unit great-so I popped
for it…it helps me and my wife and daughter..but I had the allergy-but not
having that mold helped everyone-by the way it kills every germ in the
air… it has a 5 year limited warranty-I went with the name brand
Honeywell-it can be moved-it goes in the air exchanger that blows the air or
heat into your house…a professional has to install it….it really is
great..really-I live in Houston-and there is lots of mold as it is damp all
the time–in LA I never had this problem-but after living in H town of r15
years developed this stuffed nose-etc…but the moldinator-as I call it took
care of the problem…
the company also took out the air intake-said it was moldy-and installed a
Look on line and honeywell can be found-that is how I read about it…and
the company gave me info
oh yea-bulb only last a year or so-but mine is good after 11/2 years..
here is what they did…remove existing supply box and tie with flexduct to
hard existing pipe
install return to ceiling from wall connection
install one uv light supply box
start system back up
I don’t have the web page anymore–use google and you can find it.. Michael