Bearofthecity 2012-05-06 13:32:40
One of my motar tooth (not wisdom) is hopelessly bad. Actually most
part of its top has gone. So the only solution is to extract it. The
question is what should I do after that? Have a denture. Or try
implant. The later option is more expensive but I think will better
for the jaw bone. Since I am young, I opt for this option.
Unfortunately I cannot afford it in one or two years, because of
budget problem. This broken tooth is NOT bothering me now.
Now comes the questions.
Should I extract it right now and put a denture in and wait for
years until I have budget to get an implant?
Or should I wait, since the tooth does not bother me right now,
until I have the budget and get an implant? Is it a better opition?
Because I know that have a denture in place will probably weaken the
Your answers will be greatly appreciated.
Carlo hoskins 2012-05-06 13:32:51
99.9% of the time my answer would be “yes.”
Brain tumors often don’t bother you until they’re inoperable and/or
terminal. A hopeless tooth under all but the most specific and strategic
circumstances should be removed…which brings up the other .1%: *if* the
tooth has already had a root canal *and* *if* the preservation of bone was
paramount *and* *if* I felt certain that leaving the tooth in place served
an indispensible purpose, *then* I *might* leave it in place until you were
ready for the implant. Then again, even if all of these conditions applied,
leaving it in place might be a recipe for a very difficult surgical
extraction which could easily result in the loss of more precious bone.
You should most likely have it removed. No one here has examined you
though, so who can say for sure?
Who told you that? Wearing a partial in the interim is probably the best
thing you can do to keep things fairly stable. Besides, what other options do you have?
Good question, and good luck to you.
George steber 2012-05-06 13:32:53
Who told you to extract it? The dentist or you? If I were you I would
explore options such as restoring the tooth, particularly if the root is
good.. See another dentist who specializes in that type of work. A one
time consultation is not too costly and may be helpful. You can always
extract it if you don’t want to rebuild it or can’t afford it.
Steven bornfel 2012-05-17 04:00:02
Leaving a root in place can preserve bone. However, an infected root
can cost you bone.
Sometimes we will retain a root after root canal treatment to preserve
the boney ridge. We can and do sometimes make dentures over these
Whether or not a root is worth saving in your case depends upon several
factors, including which other teeth are present in the jaw, whether we
are talking about an upper or lower molar, your overall restorative and
periodontal health, and a host of other issues that would be difficult
to address without an exam.
Bearofthecity 2012-05-20 00:26:53
Thanks for your response.
This is the lower molar tooth (first molar, i think)
Its ajacent molar has filling on it.
The other ajacent is good.
I will check with dentist on the root of that bad tooth.
Wb 2012-05-25 20:24:06
It has not been determined that this tooth is non restorable.
Can you post a picture and/or x-ray ?
If the pulp is exposed there will be infection that may
turn chronic and destroy bone. A worse sequela than
normal healing after an extraction.