Mombu 2011-05-12 23:15:55
This has been driving us nuts and I found a number of similar posts in
this forum – but no conclusive answers. Hope some of you can help us.
1) We sleep in the night in our bedroom – the next day morning we get
reddish bumps in our legs or neck or hands.
2) It doesn’t happen when we sleep in another room, right next to this
one. Or in a room downstairs
3) We moved the same mattress to the other rooms – and slept there for
2 days – no bites. Relocated the mattress to the main bedroom, we got
What may cause the bite:
1) We initially thought it was bed bugs – like everyone else in this
forum. Called the exterminators, one of them it was, but the other one
said it wasn’t. Both of them couldn’t spot any signs of bed bugs – no
bed bug molts or eggs or blood stains in the sheets. There was a black
stain on the mattress, and I read that bed bug excretion does cause
dark stains – but since no other evidence turned up, we don’t know what
to make out of it
2) We did a thorough examination of the carpet sidings and saw carpet
beetle larva – 5 or 6 of them. And their molts. Again, both the
exterminators said carpet beetles may not cause the bites.
3) We put cellophone tape on all the 4 sides of the bed -thinking that
if a bug crawls it will get stuck. But nothing got stuck and we got
How does the bite look:
1) Initially it is not red, the size of a small shirt button, but
squre. Picture at:
2) Then the next day, it grows into a red itchy bump. Picture at:
What all have we tried so far:
1) Shifted sleeping areas. This seems to stop the bites.
2) Put cellophone tape on mattress. This is not effective
3) Did thorough visual examination with flash light and magnification
lens. This turned up carpet beetles, but nothing else.
4) We applied insect repellants before sleeping and wore long shirts
and pants. This seem to have some effect.
Frankly, we are running out of ideas…Has someone faced similar
problems ? Any ideas what may be causing the bites ?? We would really
appreciate any insights.
Thanx and regards
Tom 2011-05-12 23:15:59
Fleas.. spray the furniture and the carpet.
Mrtea 2011-05-23 06:17:37
JUST BE SURE TO GET THE TYPE OF SPRAY THAT KILLS THE EGGS TOO!
Sminthian 2011-05-23 23:37:44
I’ve also had this problem for years. I usually notice them when I first
wake up in the morning and they go away around the middle of the day. I
tried a few things and came up with something that usually works. It turns
out when I sleep I roll onto my stomach and stick my hands between me and
the bed. I think they’re skin mite bites. If I wash my sheets more often
the bumps usually stop…