7th May 20:55
Swiffer Rumor is false (read proof below)
The Swiffer Wet Jet rumor that it killed a pet is proved false. Read
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Responds to Swiffer Wet Jet Rumor
Friday May 7, 2004
Veterinary Toxicologists regard allegations of liver failure and death
from household cleaner as unfounded.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Urbana, IL) May 6, 2004 -- Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA
Animal Poison Control Center have reviewed the claim described in a
widely distributed email alleging a relationship between the use of
Swiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in a dog. The email alleges that
exposure to the ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet caused a dog's death.
The Swiffer Wet Jet system contains water (90-100%), propylene glycol
n-propyl ether or propylene glycol n-butyl ether and isopropyl alcohol
(1-4%). These ingredients are safe to use around pets when used
according to label directions and would not cause liver damage at
product concentrations. Propylene glycol n-butyl/propyl ether differs
significantly from ethylene glycol, the potentially toxic ingredient
present in most antifreeze products. Ethylene glycol is frequently
implicated in causing renal failure in dogs following antifreeze
ingestion. Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol
n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning
products and do not cause kidney or liver failure.
The ASPCA will continue to monitor this situation and will post any
additional information as it becomes available. Please call
1-888-426-4435 if you have any questions or have a pet that you
suspect is experiencing problems, or visit us at http://www.apcc.aspca.org.
Media Contact: Ruth Goldstein
(212) 876-7700 ext. 4661
Dana Farbman, CVT
(217)-337-5030 ext. 751