17th July 03:55
Why is Linux better than Windows
Ian Posted the following:-
1. Stability, reliability
2. Security - XP is secure only if it is not connected to any kind
of network, phone, electric outlet, it is not powered up and locked
into a secure vault to prevent any physical access to the machine.
Have you cleaned your daily virus quota ?
Which script kiddie is the main user of your computer ?
3. Hardware support (loseDOS runs ONLY on ia32, Linux runs on ia64,
MIPS, Motorolla, IBM mainframes, embedded devices etc)
4. Supercomputing performance, see the top-500 list:
How many Windows XP systems are on the list ? 0
How many Linux systems are on the list ? 100+
5. No SpyWare, Ad-ware in Linux, free and easy-to-use spam blocking.
6. Total cost of ownership (including upgrades, software tools,
development tools, maintenance tools, file/printer/web server etc)
7. Customer support
It is well do***ented that even the "Psychic Friend Network" provides
better support than the MS hotline for an MS software problem.
8. Support a noble cause instead of a convicted business criminal.
If you use Linux you are supporting the open source community
and advancing of the technology. If you use XP, you support an
illegal monopoly whose only purpose is to prevent innovation
and grow the bank account of the company and its shareholders.
9. Access to the source code. You can check if there are any
back-doors implemented to your OS. Anybody can implement improvements,
can add support for additional hardware. Programmer students and
hobby-programmers can learn from the code. Code quality is higher
due to peer-review of the source.
10. Availability of scientific applications in the area of
computational chemistry, molecular modeling. Show me a decent
flexible ligand docking software or de novo ligand design software
available on XP. They are all available on Linux, IRIX, AIX etc.
A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) +
0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated.